We experience God's grace when we see Him go beyond what He has promised, to give us gifts that we could never have created, earned, or deserved. Our children are two of those gifts of grace.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Two Months!

Can you believe it has been 2 months since Lucas was born? I know some of you can, since you feel like you've been waiting forever for me to update this blog. I wanted to let you in on a bit of what has happened in these two months, in no particular order...

* I finished teaching a class, including grading 51 course papers and exams
* My parents came for 3 weeks to facilitate the above, and we SORELY miss them!
* Rob worked on a big project at work requiring some overtime
* Meredith stayed home from school for a week right AFTER her spring break with a cold
* Rob, my dad, and our friend Nate built an awesome swingset in the backyard
* Meredith began using words like "anyways" and "but" to start sentences
* Lucas moved from "angel baby" to "angel baby except from 9-11pm" to "angel baby most of the time with unpredictable outbursts"
* Lucas established that his favorite song for Mommy to sing while holding and bouncing him is "You're the One that I Want" from the Grease soundtrack (the "hoo hoo hoo" seems to hit on something that makes him stop crying, at least temporarily)
* I had my second ever Mother's Day with children! (Note that on Mother's Day 2008 we were in Russia on Trip # 1 meeting Meredith - but had not yet gotten to adopt her)
* Lucas went from "up once or twice per night" to "up once or twice per night"....hmmm...
* Meredith went bowling for the first time!
* Lucas smiled!
* Lucas demonstrated an ability to scoot on his tummy, a couple of feet, in quite a short period of time. Yikes!

Those are just a few tidbits. Here are some photos to keep you going as well...

The first set are a little photo shoot (all of 2 minutes) that I did to capture some of Lucas's expressions...he was about 3 weeks old here.








The other set helps you keep up with Meredith:

* she caught the bouquet at Chris and Amber's wedding!


* she loved bowling and its associated snacks




* she adjusted her musical image (and apparently handedness)

These require a bit more explanation. Here is a photo from January, soon after she got her guitar. This was a Sunday morning before church. Instead of a more typical church outfit, she insisted on wearing the "Tweetheart" shirt that Grandma gave her for Christmas. Which was fine except it was chilly out, so she needed something under it. I did the best I could to pick out decent pants and some matching socks. Then she insisted on wearing her white church shoes with the ensemble, and proceeded to rock out on her guitar. This is one of my favorite pictures of her ever :) I consider it her grunge phase.

This picture was taken in April after Holli had given Meredith some awesome french braids. I invite you to comment on what you would call this musical style/image...is it pop, or something more?

* Finally, she found she couldn't get enough of her brother, so she brought a stepstool in by his crib to take a peek :)


Well folks, let me close with this. It is important to be honest. This is what our living room looked like a little over an hour ago when I started working on this blog entry:

And of course, this is what it still looks like, because I have been working on this blog! We are learning to prioritize the important things and leave other things for an undefined "later"....but that said, please leave a comment if you're reading this blog and want me to keep it up! I need the encouragement to make time for it to happen.

Thanks, and hope you enjoyed the update!

12 comments:

  1. I'm reading! The kids are adorable!

    And thank you for sharing the picture of your living room. It makes me feel like I'm not so alone as I'm looking at almost the exact same scene in my living room right now ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely love to read your updates. As a fellow blogger, I will say that I understand if it takes a long time between posts. It's tough to keep up-to-date with a blog. We are usually a few weeks behind and then when I do post it is about something that happened two months ago.

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pictures! And, don't worry, my living room still looks like this 7 years later. It's the curse of the working mom. You should definitely keep blogging. I go through phases where I blog a lot and then not at all. But everyone at a distance always enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Hoo hoo hoo!" Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I have to say-- everyone knows that bowling food is nachos. You are totally giving away your Canadian side by feeding your daughter what looks undeniably like poutine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Everyone: Thanks for your comments!

    @ Tamara: Well, she is wearing her "My First Toronto Maple Leafs Shirt." :) They're really just cheese fries, but we'll be sure to give her some poutine at our first opportunity next time we're in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes keep it going! I love hearing about your little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah...love the honesty picture! My house looks like that often! Your children are adorable! I hope that you had a fantastic Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though we live down the road we read the blog! You never know what happens in those days in between!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, reading it! Please keep it up! The kids are ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing pictures of the kids on the blog. You must keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That living room picture is how I roll.

    ReplyDelete