We experience God's grace when we see Him go beyond what He has promised, to give us gifts that we could never have created, earned, or deserved. Our children are two of those gifts of grace.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

New Composition from Meredith

Meredith has really become a little songwriter lately. I have three videos to share, but I'll spread them out so that you don't get overloaded with delight all at once.

This one is a good example of her "songwriting"...she tries some lines out, then repeats/rephrases them. She fills in some of the tune with gibberish to keep the rhythm how she wants it. Usually by the next day both the tune and the lyrics are more solid. She still remembers them several days later, too!

Before you listen, please accept my apologies for the badly out-of-tune ukelele. We try to get it to sound better in the "open" position (though you can see she is also experimenting with the idea of fingering some chords too -- not that she knows any!). She is still holding the uke backwards, but everyone we've asked has agreed that there's no reason to change it. For what it's worth, she also bats left, but eats and writes right. Just one more fascinating thing about our Meredith!

This song is called "You Take Away My Sins". It is pretty theologically correct and almost makes me wonder if she is getting part of it from elsewhere, but it's not any song I know. I've posted the lyrics (with "..." where I can't understand her mumbling) below the video.



you take away my sins
forgiving grace
I know Jesus up in heaven
I know that Jesus up in heaven right now
(...)
He comes alive again

you take away my sins
forgiving grace
Jesus is up in heaven
I know that Jesus up

you take away my sins
(...)
Jesus up in heaven
Taking away your sin
Coming back again
(...)

you take away my sins and you
you take away my sins
(...)

3 comments:

  1. Composing in 5/4 at such a young age! You have a prodigy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! -Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh I love this KID!! You guys have got to get her in lessons. She is a prodigy... Course I am alittle bias cause Meredith is just great, but my goodness!! -Jenee

    ReplyDelete